11/01/2012

Play is its own reward: Art Harvest Tour mass Production

The Art Harvest Studio Tour was the first two weekends, including Fridays in October.  The week between we had student tours come to the studios.  From the first Friday our attendance was down from previous years.  I had time in the studio.  What to do?  Make masks.

Mantel Masks
When folks did come in, since I was working anyway it was easy to give them a quick demonstration and make another mask.  One of the first sales on the first Friday was one of the two remaining Mantel Masks.  I was down to one mantel.  I decided to make mantel masks during the Tour and as demos for the students.
Bisque, thinking about glaze
It kind of got away from me.
This year I was on a mission to do clearance.  I priced to clear.  It worked.  I got rid of a lot of work.

I sabotaged my clearance agenda.  One of the students asked what was my favorite thing in working with clay.  My answer.  When the clay is malleable, ready to remember my touch and be shaped into whatever I suggest.  When the clay is alive.

Thus I make and make and make.  I will be always having clearance sales to have room for more.

Play is its own reward.  How often have I heard that?

No comments:

Post a Comment